Saturday, July 4, 2009

Get off your soap box

To make Cold Process Soap you need a "soap box". I purchased two plastic soap molds that make 4lb loafs of soap and a plastic soap cutter that can double for a mold if you line it. After much research I found the CPOP (Cold Process Oven Process) method of soap making and it involves using your oven to speed the gelling. I have yet to use the CPOP method but needed wooden molds to do it. I spent a little time in Lowe's and Home Depot and the nice guys there cut some wood for me. I did all the sanding, screwing, drilling and hinging and made these little babies!

The photo above is for a smaller size loaf of soap so I can test different recipes.



The photo above is the lid of a larger soap box. The lid was naked and boring. I know the mold will get a little messy once I use it for soap but it was a blank canvas and I like to doodle. Being naked wood that needed to stay naked I decided to break out the wood burning tool I purchased for another project I have yet to get to.

I couldn't leave it plain so I added a green paint wash for some color.

Aren't they cute?

1 comment:

  1. How much does the little soap mold hold? The sample size one is adorable. What a great idea.

    http://www.splurgesisters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete